Furniture hardware is a wide term that refers to the physical parts used in both construction and decoration of a piece of furniture. These accessories serve functional purposes such as joining pieces together, providing support, and enabling movement. They also add to the aesthetic appeal and overall design of the furniture. Let's explore some of the commonly used hardware accessories in furniture:
1. Knobs and Pulls: These are hardware accessories used to open and close doors or drawers on furniture like cabinets, dressers, and wardrobes. They come in a variety of designs, shapes, and materials, including metal, glass, ceramic, and wood, allowing you to match the style of the furniture.
2. Hinges: Hinges are used in furniture to connect two solid objects allowing a certain angle of rotation between them. They are most commonly used on doors of cabinets or wardrobes. There are various types of hinges such as butt hinges, piano hinges, European hinges, and pivot hinges, each serving different purposes and styles.
3. Drawer Slides: Drawer slides, also known as drawer glides, are mechanisms that provide a smooth motion when a drawer is opened or closed. They can be side-mounted, under-mounted, or center-mounted, and they come in full-extension, three-quarter extension, or over-travel designs, depending on how far you want the drawer to open.
4. Locks and Keys: Locks are used in furniture like cabinets and desks to secure valuable items. There are different types of locks, including cam locks, plunger locks, and drawer locks.
5. Casters: Casters are wheels that are attached to the bottom of furniture pieces to allow them to be moved easily. They are often used on office chairs, tables, and other heavy furniture that might need to be moved around.
6. Shelf Brackets and Supports: These accessories provide support to shelves in cabinets or bookcases. They come in a variety of styles and sizes to accommodate different weights and aesthetic preferences.
7. Fasteners: These include a wide range of items such as screws, nuts, bolts, and nails, which are used to secure different parts of the furniture together. They are typically made of steel or brass and are chosen based on the material of the furniture and the strength required.
8. Handles: Handles, like knobs and pulls, are used to open or close furniture doors or drawers. They can be simple or ornate, depending on the style of the furniture.
9. Latches and Catches: These devices are used to keep the doors of cupboards, cabinets, or other furniture closed. They come in many styles, including magnetic catches, roller catches, and ball catches.
10. Bed Hardware: This category includes a variety of hardware used in beds, such as bed bolts for securing the frame, bed rail hooks for attaching the rails to the headboard and footboard, and bed risers to increase the height of the bed.
11. Furniture Legs and Feet: These are used at the bottom of furniture pieces like sofas, tables, and dressers for support. They can also add to the style of the piece and are available in many designs and materials.
12. Grommets: Grommets are used in desks or entertainment centers for cable management. They allow you to pass cords through the furniture in a neat and organized manner, while also protecting the cords from damage.
Selecting the right hardware accessories can significantly enhance the functionality and aesthetics of your furniture. They offer an excellent opportunity to add personal touches to your furniture pieces while ensuring they serve their intended purpose effectively.